Spam blocker !!! Really man. You need this. Today a great no of bloggers bang their head due to heavy spam into their blogs. It is a headache for me to remove all the spams one by one. May be yours too. I think you need a refreshment. That’s why here i am. In this post i will show you how to automatically block spam comments or spam blocker. So, lets begin.
- 1 What is SPAM :
- 2 How Spam works ?
- 3 Spam Blocker : wordpress-
- 4 Basic characteristics of wordpress spam :
- 5 Why this happens ?
- 6 How to get rid of sending a spam :
- 7 Spam blocker tip : How to reduce spam count-
- 8 Akismet : The spam blocker plugin
- 9 How to configure your akismet plugin to block spams ?
- 10 Conclusion :
What is SPAM :
Basically spam is the irrelevant or unsolicited messages sent over the Internet, typically to large numbers of users, for the purposes of advertising, phishing, spreading malware, etc. That’s the saying of Google. But in general Spam is unsocial activity over the internet. Can you ever imagine how much spam is sent across the globe daily ? Yes ! i know the answer, “i also can’t even imagine. “
How Spam works ?
Most of the people actually don’t know what is spam or how it works. Here in the above section i mentioned that spam is irrelevant or unsolicited message, now you think if this message will relevant then will it become a spam message or not ?
May be or may be not.
Now a days most of the spam comes from auto generated comment system, mailing system etc. Or some people works behind it.
Here in this post i will mention a bit about the Spam comments in wordpress.
Spam Blocker : wordpress-
WordPress is the most loved blogging platform. For users and the spammers too. Because 75 of blog holder hosted their blogs on wordpress itself. So, this is obvious to have spams.
Take a look at this screen shoot….It includes total 32 spam comments and here i am showing only two of them. But the most interesting thing is when i open one of the link from my spam comment then it shows me this.
But the main question is how to reduce the spam counting of your blog or how you can block your spams using spam blocker.
Here i just want to make clear that “spam blocker” is a technique about blocking your spam and reduce the quantity.
So, lets get started.
Basic characteristics of wordpress spam :
The basic and only characteristics of wordpress spam is each and every spam messages leads to any affiliate marketing landing page or any malware to attack your system. You can try it by yourself. Here in the upper case i have already shown you what will happen when you will click any of your spam link.
But i think you have a question in your mind and may be its the right time to ask me.
” What will happen if a genuine commentator also spams me ? “
Yes ! Sometimes it may be happen. But the chances are very less.
This is the short answer but i will explain why this happens.
Why this happens ?
WordPress is one of the leading CMS(Content management system). One thing i like about wordpress is that its unlimited plugin use and yes , wordpress is always ready to play with me.
But some people misleading it with some of the hacking tricks or black-hat techniques. They used to spread spams.
Basically wordpress categorizes spams mainly seeing the following rules –
- They used to look at your email id which you use at the time of sending the comment.
- They go through your links. If it contains more no of links they it consider it as a spam.
- They check your IP address. (Mainly proxy IP addresses are used to spreading spams)
- They check some of your words. (I will explain it a bit later).
So these are the basic characteristics to find out a spam.
If any of these conditions are not fulfilled then your comment may be kept on hold for moderation. This also happens with some of the genuine commentators too.
How to get rid of sending a spam :
There is no hidden technique to not send a spam. But you can use some of the basic tips to get rid from sending a spam. Here is the checklist you should learn before send any comment.
- The main concern is the email id for every activity throughout the internet. Choose your email id smartly. Here many of the spam messages comes from the email id’s like firstname.lastname@example.org or something like that. The good practice will be checking your spam box once. You will understand yourself. So, choose your email id smartly. If you have a domain, then use email forwarding service. It implies a great impact and not results in spamming. Here in my case i use my forwarding mail id email@example.com and it never results for spamming.
- Don’t ever use outbound links through out your comment. This is very bad practice. Instead of that you may use CommentLuv. It allows your recent commented post to show below your comment.
- Don’t use some words like porn, sex, free money, or any other word related to that. Because Google and WordPress both are so strict about some activity and they may ban your site. Later i will discuss about it briefly.
These three tips may be help you not to become a spammer. I think this will help you out.
Now the question is how to reduce spam counts from your blog. Here we go with the massive tips.
Spam blocker tip : How to reduce spam count-
Here in this section i will mention two major tips to reduce spam count and i called it spam blocker tip. One is from a plugin and another is from built in feature of wordpress. So, lets started.
Built in wordpress method :
Go to settings and then discussion then look at this image here-
This is the main comment settings of your wordpress blog. Here you can optimize many things. All are listed below.
1. Fill up the email id : Always check in the 1st box, because this is the main reason why spam is not attacking massively to your blog.
2. Registration settings : This depends upon you. Whether you want yo allow your users to log in before comment of not. For me it is OK if they are not logged in to their respective account.
3. Automatic close comment : This is a good feature from wordpress i must say. Some high authority blogs use this because they don’t want more comment. According to your recommendation you can also check this in. Yet my blog is a new one this is OK and i am not using this right now.
4. Enable threaded : Always check this box in because this settings block majority of the spams. Don’t ask me why but this is it. Keep this box checked in.
5. The next settings is breaking your comments into pages. If your blog is getting more no of comments then you can use this features.
Next you can see this settings. Always check all the two boxes. This allows you to check in the comment and approved by your moods. This definitely reduce spam counts. You may notice the second option. Comment author must have a previously approved comment. This option sometimes helpful or sometimes not. But for me it is ok with checked in.
This image will tell you more thing. Isn’t it ? This is the basic thing you can use to block spams right here. I already told about the outbound link. If any comment contains more no of links then this settings will hold that comment for moderation. You can adjust here the no of links.
You may also notice in the next image. Take a look at the next image.
Comment Blacklist : What is actually comment blacklist? I already mention that i will tell about it later and so here i am. Comment blacklist is basically the words which is use by most of the spammers to spread spams.
So, How we actually identify those words.
Well, One simple logic is favorable in this case. See, What kind of message basically spammers used to send? A marketing one right. Because they want more attention into their marketing products. That’s why they used to send those spams which contains a lending page.
Another concept you should know. This is very hard to believe but this is it. Every day almost thousands of porn sites are created by the users all over the world. They misleading everything by their messages and links. So we should stop it right now.
Here is the words which will prevent some of your spams –
-online,4u,adderall,adipex,advicer,ambien,baccarat,baccarrat,blackjack,bllogspot,booker,byob,car-rental-e-site,car-rentals-e-site carisoprodol,casino,casinos,chatroom,cialis,citalopram,clomid,coolcoolhu,coolhu,credit-card-debt,credit-report-4u cwas,cyclen,cyclobenzaprine,cymbalta,dating-e-site,day-trading,debt-consolidation,debt-consolidation-consultant,discreetordering, doxycycline,duty-free,dutyfree,ephedra,equityloans,facial,femdom,fetish,fioricet,flowers-leading-site,freenet freenet-shopping,fucking,gambling,gambling-,hair-loss,health-insurancedeals-4u,holdem,holdempoker, holdemsoftware,holdemtexasturbowilson,homeequityloans,homefinance,hotel-dealse-site,hotele-site,hotelse-site, hydrocodone,incest,insurance-quotesdeals-4u,insurancedeals-4u,jrcreations,levitra,lexapro,lipitor,lorazepam, macinstruct,mortgage-4-u,mortgagequotes,online-gambling,onlinegambling-4u,ottawavalleyag,ownsthis,oxycodone,oxycontin palm-texas-holdem-game,axil,penis,percocet,pharmacy,phentermine,poker,poker-chip,porn,poze,propecia,pussy, rental-car-e-site,ringtone,ringtones,roulette ,sex,shemale,shoes,slot-machine,texas holdem,texas-holdem,thorcarlson,top-e-site top-site,tramadol,trim-spa,ultram,valeofglamorganconservatives,valium,valtrex,viagra,vioxx,xanax,zolus
[ N.B: This list is not prepared by me. This is prepared by http://notagrouch.com . For more information go through this link – http://notagrouch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/wordpress-blacklist-words.txt ]
I think you have a great idea about how to block spams by using my spam blocker method. But here i would like to mention about one plugin which is really awesome and best of all in this categories. Plugins are always helpful in the case of wordpress. They saves a lots of time and configure everything correctly. Take a look at this plugin-
Akismet is one of the most effective plugin for wordpress which results in blocking spams. Akismet is free of cost but if you want more support for your commercial purpose then you might check these planes. Almost each and every blogger from the world use this plugin. You may ask them. May be it will be their 1st preference. Here are the plans from akismet.
Akismet is the automated spam blocker plugin. This means it doesn’t require any configuration.
Take a look at the summery page.
I already mentioned that by blog is only 2 months old but its growing day by day. And here is my akismet spam blocking history. It blocks 187 spams till dates with 96.81% accuracy. The accuracy here is one of the algorithm which specialy use by akismet to define spams.
You will be very happy if i say that for configuring your Akismet account you will hardly need 120 seconds. Isn’t is really cool?
So, Just log in to your akismet account and fill all the details there and that’s it. Akismet will block your spams.
Just check it out this small settings part.
If you need full blocking access then keep the settings as shown in the above image. So this is the method for blocking spams from your blog.
Spams are really annoying. Sometimes it misleads the author as well as the readers too. So, how’s my spam blocking guide? Yes ! We are bloggers. We have to fight against the inhuman activity. That’s why i wrote this post. In my previous post i wrote about getting traffic without social media but traffic is more means spam is also increasing. So, before the spams misleads your head make the changes using my spam blocking guide and keep far away from the spammers.
If my spam blocker guide is helpful to you then let me know via comments. Also share this article to every blogger.
Thanks for reading.